Heavy Equipment Operator
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating a variety of equipment which may include: backhoe excavator, loader, bulldozer, front end loader, skid steer, dump truck, concrete spreader, compactor, concrete pumping equipment, and roller. Operator will use heavy equipment to perform a variety of tasks which may include: fine grading and finishing; landscaping; sloping and banking; backfilling; ditching; excavating; rough grading; stumping; sub-grade excavating; sub-grade rolling; trenching; material handling; slope grooming and; snow removal.
- Customer and quality focus.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Team work
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Responsibility and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- Operate heavy equipment to complete a variety of job tasks to assist with landscape construction projects.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain equipment.
- Conduct daily equipment inspections reports on equipment before use.
- Report any repair issues or equipment hazards immediately.
- Secure special attachments to equipment.
- Assist with general labor duties when needed, in order to complete landscape construction projects.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
- Complete daily paperwork detailing job hours and costs.
Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Work in accordance with all local health and safety laws and regulations.
- Some college, CEGEP, vocational or technical training.
- Heavy Equipment Operator Trade Certification, valid driver’s license [Class A or 1], air brake [Z] endorsement.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience operating heavy equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings, and specifications.
- Physically fit with strong stamina.
- Basic measurement and calculation skills.
- Ability to follow safe working procedures.
- Excellent observation skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
Effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
- Speak, read, and write English.
- Computer skills an asset.
- Various locations including both residential and commercial landscape construction sites.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. repeatedly through an entire work shift.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis.
- Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, dust, noise, and cold.
- Work flexible hours including occasional weekend work.