Truck Driver (Heavy)
The Heavy Truck Driver is responsible for driving and operating a variety of trucks, which may include: straight or articulated truck, tractor trailer, flatbed, concrete mixing, and dump truck. Driving responsibilities may include short-haul, long-haul, local, and regional driving, in order to transport goods and materials to and from the job sites. The Heavy Truck Driver is also expected to participate in any general labor duties upon request, in order to assist with the completion of landscape projects.
- Customer and quality focus.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Team work.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Responsibility and dependability.
- Ethics and integrity.
- Drive and operate a variety of trucks/equipment to complete a variety of job tasks to assist with landscape construction projects.
- Carry out daily pre-trip and post-trip inspections on vehicles.
- Secure special attachments to equipment.
- Complete driver’s log book on a daily basis and ensure logs are handed in at the end of each week.
- Transport materials to and from the job site, including loading and unloading.
- Using proper tie-down procedures, secure materials to be transported to ensure the safety and security of the load.
- Utilize GPS devices and maps to plan travel schedules and routes
Report on the health and operating status of all equipment using service requests and hazard reports
Assist with general labor duties when needed.
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures
Work in accordance with all local health and safety laws and regulations.
- Completion of high school.
- Valid driver’s license [Class 1 or A], air brake [Z] endorsement.
- Safe driving record – able to submit a driver’s abstract (infractions history) upon request.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience.
- Ability to read and interpret maps.
- Documentation knowledge of: driver logbook; pre-trip and post-trip inspection reports; maintenance and repair reports; and trip reports.
- Physically fit with strong stamina.
- Basic measurement and calculation skills.
- Ability to follow safe working procedures.
- Excellent observation skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
- Speak, read, and write English.
- Computer skills an asset.
- Ability to work with hand tools, power tools, small engine equipment, and materials.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. repeatedly through an entire work shift.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Requires good manual dexterity.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis.
- Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, dust, noise, and cold.
- Flexible working hours including occasional weekend work.