Stone & Brick Mason/ Apprentice
- Customer and quality focus.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Team work
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Responsibility and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- Assist in the preparation of job sites prior to the beginning of a project.
- Operate various tools and equipment used to complete masonry job duties, including: Laying brick, concrete blocks, stone, and other similar hardscape materials to construct or repair arches, walkways, and other structures.
- Perform stone masonry, prefabricated brickwork and masonry, foundation walls, arch work and decorative masonry.
- Prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks, structural tiles or other masonry materials.
- Build patios, garden/retaining walls, and other decorative installations.
- Face, size, cut, and lay stones.
- Assemble, erect, and dismantle scaffolding, rigging, and hoisting equipment.
- Assist in building and dismantling forms used for pouring concrete.
- Load and unload materials, tools, and equipment required to complete landscape construction projects.
- Perform preventative maintenance on tools and equipment by conducting inspections, lubricating, and cleaning on a daily basis.
- Read and interpret blueprints, structural drawings, and specifications to perform work activities.
- Complete and submit daily paperwork reporting time and job costs.
- Wear appropriate PPE at all times. Ensure any laborers/crew members also equipped with appropriate PPE.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Work in accordance with all local health and safety laws and regulations.
- Communicate with customers in a polite and courteous manner.
- Completion of high school, some college/CEGEP/vocational or technical training.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience with stone masonry, prefabricated brickwork and masonry, foundation walls, arch work and decorative masonry, or general masonry work (apprentice may have less than 3 years experience, although preference will be given to candidates with more).
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Time management skills
Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings, and specifications.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Knowledge of specific materials, methods, tools and equipment required to complete various landscape/construction practices.
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability to walk, stand, crouch for long periods of time and carry out strenuous physical tasks.
- Speak, read, and write English.
Ability to work with hand tools, power tools, small engine equipment, and materials.
Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. repeatedly through an entire work shift
Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
Requires good manual dexterity.
Excellent stamina is required.
Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis.
Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, dust, noise, and cold.
Flexible working hours including occasional weekend work.