The Shop Mechanic is responsible the repair, maintenance, overhaul, and service of various types of small engine equipment, heavy equipment, and trucks.
- Customer and quality focus.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Team work
- Excellent problem solving abilities
- Responsibility and dependability
- Ethics and integrity
- Adjust, overhaul, repair, and reassemble engines, transmissions, clutches, rear ends, differentials, brakes, drive shafts, axels, and other assemblies.
- Read and interpret owner, operator, and manufacturer operating manuals and service specifications to complete job tasks
- Test, diagnose, and repair equipment including: diesel powered automobiles, tractors, dump trucks, excavators, heavy trucks, and other heavy construction equipment
Test, diagnose, and repair small engine equipment.
- Complete all repairs to high standards of safety and quality .
- Schedule and conduct regular preventative maintenance inspection and repairs on any/all company equipment.
- Observe or monitor objects to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.
- Service equipment and working tools.
- Liaise with suppliers to order any required parts and maintain inventory.
- Maintain and enforce standards of cleanliness and organization in shop and equipment areas.
- Complete maintenance reports, work orders, and any other required paperwork (daily).
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times
Comply with all company policies and regulations.
- Work in accordance with all local health and safety laws and regulations.
- Assist with employee training on daily inspections, care, and proper use of vehicles and equipment.
- Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic Trade Certification or Truck and Coach Service License.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in repair/maintenance of heavy equipment or related machinery.
- Ability to detect and diagnose operating problems.
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner.
- Time management skills
Ability to read and interpret operator and manufacturer specifications.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge of specific materials, methods, tools and equipment required to complete various job tasks.
- Strong attention to detail
Ability to work both independently with little supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability to walk, stand, crouch for long periods of time and carry out strenuous physical tasks.
- Speak, read, and write English.
- Experience with maintenance welding is an asset.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. repeatedly through an entire work shift.
- Willing to travel regularly to complete on-site maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
Requires good manual dexterity.
- Excellent stamina is required.
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis.
- Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, dust, noise, and cold.
- Flexible working hours including occasional weekend work.